2011-09-10

HW1 Problem 1.10.

Originally Posted By: jnewth
I think I solved this one but it's a bit hand-wavey. What I wanted to show is that if a function f is in DTIME(T(n)) it means that there exists some TM capable of deciding the language in no more than c*T(n). By deciding, we mean that this TM halts on all inputs and accepts if the input is in the language.

First question: Can someone give me an intuitive understanding of what "being in the language" means in this case? Does that mean that programs that compute the function f are in the language, and programs that don't compute f are not in the language?

Second question: Does that make sense as an attack on this problem? Have I misunderstood the problem?

I figured a really simple way to do this would be to show how to actually construct the TM that could simulate a program written in the language.

Third question: Is there more to it than showing that a single step in this program can be simulated in no more than c*T(n) steps?

Fourth question: Are there any steps in a direct simulation that would require than 1 step per 1 language step?
'''Originally Posted By: jnewth''' I think I solved this one but it's a bit hand-wavey. What I wanted to show is that if a function f is in DTIME(T(n)) it means that there exists some TM capable of deciding the language in no more than c*T(n). By deciding, we mean that this TM halts on all inputs and accepts if the input is in the language. <br><br>First question: Can someone give me an intuitive understanding of what &quot;being in the language&quot; means in this case? Does that mean that programs that compute the function f are in the language, and programs that don't compute f are not in the language? <br><br>Second question: Does that make sense as an attack on this problem? Have I misunderstood the problem?<br><br>I figured a really simple way to do this would be to show how to actually construct the TM that could simulate a program written in the language.<br><br>Third question: Is there more to it than showing that a single step in this program can be simulated in no more than c*T(n) steps? <br><br>Fourth question: Are there any steps in a direct simulation that would require than 1 step per 1 language step?

-- HW1 Problem 1.10
First question: Can someone give me an intuitive understanding of what "being in the language" means in this case? Does that mean that programs that compute the function f are in the language, and programs that don't compute f are not in the language?

You are going to be simulating programs which compute boolean functions. i.e., on any input string they output 0 or 1. The language corresponding to such a function is just the collection of strings on which the output is 1.

Second question: Does that make sense as an attack on this problem? Have I misunderstood the problem?

The problem actually doesn't define what a step of such a program is. Assume it means execute one instructions.
So the question is asking to show that if in computing a boolean function f(x), a program executes T(|x|) instructions,
then there is a Turing machine computing the same functions which runs in time O(T(|x|). i.e., this shows f in DTIME(T(|x|)).

Third question: Is there more to it than showing that a single step in this program can be simulated in no more than c*T(n) steps?

That would give a quadratic simulation. You need to show you can simulate a program instruction in constantly many steps.

Fourth question: Are there any steps in a direct simulation that would require than 1 step per 1 language step?
That depends on how you answer the question. My guess is yes.
First question: Can someone give me an intuitive understanding of what &quot;being in the language&quot; means in this case? Does that mean that programs that compute the function f are in the language, and programs that don't compute f are not in the language?<br><br>You are going to be simulating programs which compute boolean functions. i.e., on any input string they output 0 or 1. The language corresponding to such a function is just the collection of strings on which the output is 1.<br><br><br>Second question: Does that make sense as an attack on this problem? Have I misunderstood the problem?<br><br>The problem actually doesn't define what a step of such a program is. Assume it means execute one instructions.<br>So the question is asking to show that if in computing a boolean function f(x), a program executes T(|x|) instructions,<br>then there is a Turing machine computing the same functions which runs in time O(T(|x|). i.e., this shows f in DTIME(T(|x|)).<br><br>Third question: Is there more to it than showing that a single step in this program can be simulated in no more than c*T(n) steps? <br><br>That would give a quadratic simulation. You need to show you can simulate a program instruction in constantly many steps.<br><br>Fourth question: Are there any steps in a direct simulation that would require than 1 step per 1 language step?<br>That depends on how you answer the question. My guess is yes.
X